Meghalaya Politics: Senior BJP leader and former minister Alexander L. Heck on Monday said the BJP may soon withdraw support to the NPP-led Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) government. He said that the decision of the State Executive Committee and Core Committee of the party has been conveyed to the central leaders and the Chief MinisterThis is the right time to withdraw support to the MDA government led by the BJP. Heck pointed out that in the state executive committee and core committee meetings held last week, BJP’s national general secretary, organization, B.L. Santosh was also present. When asked about the reasons behind his decision to leave the ruling coalition at the end of almost a full five-year term, Heck said, “Let the right time come, everything will be revealed and explained in detail.”
BJP national vice-president and the party’s Meghalaya in-charge M. Chuba Aao had earlier said that the party could withdraw support to the MDA within a month. The BJP with two legislators is an ally of the six-party coalition government of the National People’s Party (NPP). The AO had said that the party was studying reports on several corruption allegations against the state government and would hand over all the papers to the CBI and it would investigate the matter.
Even though the NPP, headed by Chief Minister Sangma, is an important constituent of the BJP-led North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) and the NDA, its relationship with the saffron party is slowly turning sour over several issues, particularly the BJP. State Vice President Bernard N. After Marak’s arrest.
Marak was arrested from Uttar Pradesh on July 25 for allegedly running a brothel in West Garo Hills district. BJP workers and leaders had earlier protested in Tura, demanding a fair investigation into the murder case, while party workers in West Garo Hills had launched a signature campaign demanding the removal of the district’s superintendent of police and deputy commissioner. In Marak’s defence, BJP leaders claimed that the farmhouse in the brothel case was operational since 2019, but raids were conducted to defame Marak and damage his political career, just six months before the assembly elections in Meghalaya.
However, NPP’s Rajya Sabha member and state president WR Kharlukhi had termed the BJP’s threat as a farce. Sangme, who is also the national president of the NPP, had said that the AO’s statement was personal and should not be taken as an official statement of the BJP. Because, the top leadership of BJP will talk to them, if there is any such thing then its solution will be found.